Holiday Fire Safety
During the holiday season, homes are often beautifully decorated with candles, fresh garlands, and trees adorned in lights. While the wonder of the season is enchanting, it is important to be aware of potential fire hazards. Follow the tips below to reduce the risk of danger while making your home look festive.
If you choose to decorate a live tree, try to find one that is fresh. Fresh trees are safer for your home because they are less prone to catch fire. Some indicators of a fresh tree include:
Vibrant green color with needles that are not easily plucked.
A trunk that is sticky with resin.
Watch out for trees that have a greenish cast to their trunks and branches, as some growers spray trees with green paint to make them more appealing to buyers.
When decorating your Christmas tree (live or artificial), keep the following tips in mind to lessen the chance of a fire hazard:
Use only lights that have been tested for safety (a label from an independent testing laboratory should appear on the box).
Check each set of lights for broken sockets, frayed wires, or loose connections.
Use a maximum of three standard-sized strings of lights per single extension cord.
Keep cords and lights away from the tree’s water supply.
Put your tree’s lights on a timer so they are not left on for extended periods of time. Even LED lights can overheat and, with a combination of a dry tree, could cause a fire.
To dispose of your tree, take it to a tree recycling center or have it hauled away by a community pick-up service. Never burn trees, branches, or needles in a fireplace or wood stove. Fir trees and pine trees have a copious amount of sap, which can explode.
For more on holiday fire safety, click here. If buying a new home is on your list of resolutions for the New Year, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about your home buying needs. Call me today!